Monday, April 9, 2012

Gardening and Good Friday

Did you know that you are supposed to have your garden planted by Good Friday?  I got this bit of information from my 80 year old grandmother who was being pestered by my 81 year old grandfather to get all her planting done.  After a bit of research, I found out planting potatoes on Good Friday is supposed to be good luck.  I'm trying to steer clear of potatoes right now so I opted to go the vegetable route.  The hubs took me to Calloways where we purchased the following:
 

Tomatoes, Bell Pepper, Strawberries, Okra, Hot Pepper, Squash, Zucchini, Cantaloupe, and Cucumber
In addition to my goodies above, we bought some seeds - corn, dill, basil, chive, carrot and garlic bulbs.  I'm pretty ambitious this year as you can tell.  Last year I had only mild success, mainly from my peppers and zucchini.  After I yelled at it, my zucchini plant went wild producing giant zucchini.  I put it in everything - salads, pasta sauce, pizza - see my post here for more about that.
Crazy Zucchini Plant 2011
Anywho, I pretty much consider myself a professional gardener at this point.  I did have to do a quick google search ("what grows next to each other?") to come up with a layout.  I found THIS helpful site about companion planting.
I also did a search about square foot gardening and decided to give that a go this year.

I don't have a good pic of my garden just yet.  One of my bell pepper plants already has a tiny pepper on it.  I'm hoping this summer is not as hot as last year so I can get some good product.  The cucumber, squash and melon all seem to really love the rain we just got.  More updates to come!  

P.S.  I'm thinking of setting up a roadside stand in front of my house if this thing is successful (which I'm sure it will be)

No comments:

Post a Comment