Friday, May 3, 2013

Spring has sprung...kinda

May 3rd and it's a beautiful, sunny 64 degrees here in Dallas.  Yes Dallas, Texas.  I'm not sure I've ever worn a sweater in May before but I'm wearing one today.  I had to have one on yesterday since it was a whopping 40 degrees.  Unexpected to say the least.

My garden is back in full swing with lots of kale, tomato, pepper, onion, basil and squash.  We might be on squash overload this year because I threw a few seeds in the garden box early on.  When nothing happened, I got impatient and bought some started squash plants.  Now the seeds have sprouted.  Good thing hubby likes squash.

The biggest disappointment from the last month is that I've discovered I cannot grow an avocado tree here in Dallas.  After LOTS of online research, It appears our climate is too cold as one hard freeze will kill an avocado tree dead.  Boo.  Also they take 7 YEARS before they produce fruit.  I practically eat an avocado a day so I'm not sure I can wait that long (even if it were possible).

I heard about a book called Absolutely Avocados in last month's Redbook mag.  This chick claims you can substitute an avocado for the stick of butter used in chocolate chip cookies.  No lie!  Her food looks pretty good so I'm tempted to order the book and give it a try.

There are also quite a few home renovations in the air for this spring/summer.  And I have plans to put a chicken coop in my back yard!  I'm SO excited about having chickens.  Lots to do - and as my dad would say - I'd "better get busy, cause times a wastin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment