Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cowtown 10K

I started my training program for the Fort Worth Cowtown 10K two days ago. The run is on February 27, 2010 at 7:30 am. I am not a morning person, or a runner for that matter, yet somehow I have talked myself into doing this because it will be "good for me."


My first 3 run mile was tough and very slow. I think there are people twice my age that could run faster than I did that day. On top of my slowness, I am recovering from a cold which decided to manifest itself in the form of a hacking cough. So there I am, trying to make the full 3 miles at my glacial pace while hacking up a lung. Somehow I made it. Where was my runner's high? Maybe next time...?

My next 3 mile run was even tougher. I decided to opt for the treadmill this time, since it is bitterly cold this week. Of course my gym is full of would-be athletes working on their resolutions to be healthier, lose weight, blah blah blah (of course I am one of them). I manage to snag a treadmill by the mirror so, lucky for me, I can watch myself struggle to make the run. Its not that bad at first. I have Avril Lavine's "Girlfriend" playing on my ipod/phone which has a nice running pace to it. I visualize how much stronger and leaner I am going to be after this run (being careful to avoid the mirror lest it ruin my fantasy).  Then mile two hits and it is time to slow down a bit.  My face is really red.  Not attractive.  There is some girl running next taking long strides like its nothing.  Meanwhile I have to tell myself NOT to panic; Yes you can breath; just a little bit longer...
 
Still no runner's high.  Today my ankles hurt and my body feels like someone beat me up.  The really great thing is that today I have to step it up and run 3.5 miles.  Did I say great?  I meant something else...
 
Cowtown 10K here I come...
 
http://www.cowtownmarathon.org/default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment