Saturday, December 18, 2010

Letterpress 101

Last week I took a letterpress class from Lauren of http://www.blueeyebrowneye.com/ and I LOVED IT!

Lauren teaches on a Kelsey 5x8 press.  Her studio is at her home and its one of those spaces I think of as a beautiful disaster.  Walking in, the first thing I notice is all the paper strewn about.  Various projects adorn the walls, desk and floor - letterpress, calligraphy, photographs.  There's a large table for a workspace; its topped with all sorts of items used for the letterpress process (i.e. furniture, ink, composing stick, type) and, of course, the press itself.   At one point she opens up a large drawer that is completely full of various envelopes.  I'm such a stationary geek that I'm in heaven and instantly wish that I had a drawer full of envelopes.

We talk about paper and decide on the type for my project (Crane Lettra).  Lauren makes me do everything except cut my own paper, which I loved because I really wanted to learn to do it myself.  I was pretty intimidated but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be - of course its easy to say that because I had Lauren there to answer my questions and tell me what to do.  If I had attempted letterpress on my own, I'm sure I would have gotten completely frustrated and been yanking my hair out. 

I set my type, mixed my own ink, and got to work printing cards for my grandmother.  They are picutred below but my iphone doesn't do them justice.  They look lovely!

I have started looking for my own press now and can't wait to start printing my own stuff.  I hope to have everything up and running by January and I already have a very special first project in mind. 

You can check out Lauren's goods here on Etsy.


No comments:

Post a Comment