Saturday, September 24, 2011

State Fair Chili Cook-off Part 2: Test Run

Well I got home later than I wanted last night so I decided to save the test run for today. Its best to start off the day with a good breakfast. Check out this little skillet I bought:




Isn't it cute? It holds one egg perfectly. I almost burned my egg taking this pic actually. The smoke alarm went off. Not a good omen.

Now to test out the costume I bought for Beans MF.



He obviously loves it! My little fat pumpkin!

Ok, NOW its time to break out the camp stove. The instructions seem overly complicated.



I'm going to steal a play from the Tao of Curtis and just figure it out as I go.

I spilled fuel everywhere as I filled up the tank. Luckily I have the hose close by to clean up my mess before I catch the house on fire. I figure maybe I should read the instructions after all so I give them a quick scan. Good thing too because I wouldn't have figured it out on my own.





Im ready to light it up!

12 tries later, I think I have fire but I can't see it so it's time to consult the google.

Google says this stove is basically like a Bunsen burner so I should have a low blue flame. Hm. Not exactly what i had going on. Enough with the stove for now. Time to chop some shit.

Here's my ingredients:





I get the stove going after only 1 try and the onions are in the pot! Time to add some meat.




Meat + a few dozen ingredients later and i have this simmering on the camp stove:



So far so good!! Now to let it cook for a bit... Is it too early for a beer? I think not!

After letting it simmer for 30 minutes, it's good but definitely needs more heat. I add some more chili powder, red pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Here is the final recipe (I think):





And here's the final product:






Now to work on the team shirts! State Fair Chili Cook Off, here we come!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment