Monday, April 11, 2011

Soldiers' Angels

Today is my adopted soldier's birthday.  He turned 25.  This is his 3rd tour in Iraq and I adopted him through an organization called Soldiers' Angels.  This non-profit group strives to fulfill their motto: "May No Soldier Go Unloved."  Currently, There are over 1500 soldiers waiting for adoption.

I really love working with this group.  This is the third soldier I have adopted and this one happens to be from Texas.  Almost immediately, he started emailing me.  In his first email, he thanked me for adopting him and talked a little bit about how the war had been going on a long time and how the soldiers didn't feel the support from home like they did a few years ago.  I thought this was really sad.  No matter what your political views, I believe the people fighting for our country should always be supported. 

There is a great quote on the Soldiers' Angels' website from NY Times Columnist, David Brooks, that says "If anybody is wondering: Where are the young idealists? Where are the people willing to devote themselves to causes larger than themselves? They are in uniform in Iraq [and Afghanistan], straddling the divide between insanity and order."

If adopting a soldier is too much for you right now, there are lots of other ways to support the troops.  Besides Soldiers' Angels, there are a number or organizations looking for people to get involved.  I have listed them below.  As Memorial Day approaches, please consider doing something to show our servicemen and women that you are thinking about them.



herobox.org

Treat Any Soldier

US Troup Care Package

Any Soldier

No comments:

Post a Comment